USDA Listening Session on Private Financing for Rural Water/Waste Disposal Systems
November 14, 2014
USDA Rural Development is holding a listening session to hear comments on the 2014 Farm Bill provision that requires the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) to encourage private financing of rural water and waste disposal facilities and how it impacts USDA’s Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant programs. Included in Section 6019 of the Farm Bill, the requirement would:
- Maximize the use of loan guarantees to finance eligible projects in rural communities with populations in excess of 5,500;
- Maximize the use of direct loans to finance projects in cases where there would be a significant impact on rate payers when compared to a loan guarantee;
- Establish and apply a definition of “material impact” to determine when to maximize loans;
- Require projects requiring over $500,000 in interim financing to seek private financing; and
- Determine whether a borrower can refinance with a private lender before RUS funding occurs.
USDA hopes to hear your thoughts. This Listening Session will provide an opportunity for stakeholders to address these additional funding options for rural water and waste water systems, which are designed to offer more immediate private investment in rural areas. The details are below.
Date: December 10, 2014
Time: 1:00-3:00PM (eastern)
Dial: Please RSVP to WEPFarmBill@wdc.usda.gov to receive the call-in number.
Please RSVP by 5pm December 8, 2014 and indicate that you require a call-in number.
You may also submit written comments to USDA. Information about that process is available here: